CSCA is an iconic New England landmark, and for more than 40 years has been highly acclaimed among the nation’s premier culinary schools. Here, students gain the essential knowledge and foundational skills a great culinary education demands – classic fundamentals of cooking and baking, history and influences of the world’s greatest cuisines, techniques for mastering common and exotic ingredients, and more.
CSCA is seeking a passionate, part time, Chef Instructor to teach in our Recreational Program. We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Chef with exceptional cooking, teaching and customer service skills. You will be the catalyst to our students gaining confidence in the kitchen, adding to their repertoire, and providing individuals, couples or groups of friends with an alternative fun night out! Our chef instructors take pride in sharing their knowledge and expertise with students at all levels of proficiency in our intimate, hands-on environment. Does this sound like you?
RECREATIONAL CHEF INSTRUCTOR
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set-up of kitchen and lecture space as needed, and inventory check at least 1 hour before the scheduled start of class.
- Production and teaching responsibilities: up to 30 minutes of classroom lecture and 3.5 hours of hands on cooking.
- Provide direction and feedback to recreational students of varying skill levels to ensure successful classroom operations and an outstanding educational and enjoyable experience for customers.
- Maintain the highest standards of safety and cleanliness.
- Ensures all food items are cooked and served properly and under sanitary conditions.
- Adjust teaching style to meet needs of diverse group of participants (adults, teens, beginners, advanced, etc.).
- Must be able to multi-task and have a full grasp of all activities occurring in the kitchen at all times.
- Provide outstanding customer service to all guests at all times
- Ensure that kitchen is organized and left in proper condition for the cleaning crew; this includes checking that all equipment is turned off, dirty dishes and equipment are left in good order for the dish washers, and leftover inventory items and equipment are returned to their proper locations
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position requires a varied work schedule, to include nights and weekends as necessitated by business circumstances
- Perform other duties as needed, directed or assigned.
- Must wear CSCA approved uniform at all times while instructing a class or representing CSCA.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS)
- Culinary school graduate or a minimum of 5 years working in the food service industry.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, orally and in writing
- Candidates must be able to pass a CORI background check.
- THIS IS A PART TIME, PER DIEM POSITION THAT IS PAID BY THE CLASS.
- Class schedules will vary by week.
- Class days will vary, including nights and weekends
- Number of classes scheduled will vary based on demand, skillset and availability.
- The ability to lift 25 pounds, stand, kneel, sit, and walk for extended periods of time.
- Instructors will be on their feet for up to 5 hours at a time
- Instructors will need to handle and lift heavy kitchen equipment, chairs, tables.
- This job occurs primarily in commercial kitchens which may vary in temperature and humidity.